Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Enchiladas

Still have chili's that I processed a month ago in the fridge. They remain flavorful and viable so I used them to coat the low carb tortillas tonight and stuff them with shredded left over pork and some cheeses on hand. Baked 'em covered for a while and they came out really great. It's really just an excuse to get sour cream into my mouth.  Topped them with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and salsa.

Processing Dry Chilis

I have been using guajillo, New Mexico and whatever chili looks good at the market really. I generally use a mix of them about a gallon bag full.

I open the peppers, seed them and cover them in boiling water. Let them steep for a good 30 mins. After they have softened up, drain them and reserve the "tea". Process them in batches in the blender or food processor and strain them into a bowl to remove the skins. Use the tea to loosen it up a bit if it gets too thick. To the processed chilis I add salt and pepper, a habenero or jalapeno (depends on the intended consumer) and a good palmful of ground cumin. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Use this for a Chili Colorado base in the slow cooker or like I do. Coat tortillas with it and make enchiladas. None of that nasty canned enchilada sauce for me.  Makes about a quart of chili paste-sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...