Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Authentic Enchiladas?

I had a wild hair. A Tuesday with nothing in particular on the docket for dinner. Brenda was off  and participating in retail therapy sessions. I had a few pounds of lean burger in the fridge. What to do? Luckily I was still at work when I brainstormed "enchiladas" and I was close to the Hispanic market to stop by and get some hard to come by ingredients. I wanted these babies authentic which means making your own enchilada sauce. Just in case, I Brenda pick up a jar from Trader Joe's.

The Hispanic grocery, Avanza,  in Midtown caters to Latino and Asian customers. They display a huge array of beans, rice and peppers along with corn to grind for tortillas and a vast selection of prepared Mexican specialities. I need a jar of "Sofrito" paste for the recipe and a few dried Ancho Chiles. They were more than happy to oblige my fantasy.  Ever since we went to Nettie's in (deep) South Omaha, I have been craving her enchiladas with that dark red, dry coating on the tortilla and piquant sauce.

I found a recipe that had to be translated so I figured that had to be authentic. Just to make sure I checked a dozen other recipes to validate the ingredients. I did not use chicken in my enchiladas but this is the original recipe from
http://www.elmejornido.com/es/kitchen/recipe/144679/enchiladas-de-pollo-en-salsa-roja
  • 8 dried ancho chiles, rehydrated in hot water, drained and seeded
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 packets (3.98 ounces each) MAGGI Sofrito Seasoning Paste (tomato, garlic, onion)
  • 1 1/2 MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon Tablets, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 16 medium corn tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast meat
  • 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) crumbled Mexican panela cheese, divided
  • NESTLÉ Media Crema
  • Thinly sliced onion
  • Thinly sliced radishes


  • PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
  • PLACE chiles, water, sofrito, dissolved bouillon and oregano in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour sauce in large bowl; set aside.
  • HEAT oil in large skillet. Fry tortillas one at a time for 2 to 3 seconds to soften. Drain tortillas on paper towels. Dip tortillas in chile sauce; fill evenly with shredded chicken and 2 cups cheese. Roll filled tortillas and arrange in large baking dish.
  • POUR remaining chile sauce over filled tortillas in baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese; cover with foil.
  • BAKE for 15 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Serve topped with media crema, sliced onions and radishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...