Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Birthday Dinner for the Birthday Girl

My sweet daughter has a birthday today. We celebrated her accomplishments in her profession on Saturday but last night was just about her. The boys were working so it was just the Mrs. and Mackenzie, a lovely temperate evening, some grilled NY Strips and fresh asparagus. Killer bread of course and I made Hollandaise for the asparagus. Delish!  No dessert because I frankly did not think of it. Honestly, for the calories I would have rather had more steak (we only eat 4 ounces) than dessert but we did splurge on Saturday. There is a chain company in Omaha called Nothing Bundt Cakes. They have the best, most decadent cakes in mini bundt form. So tasty but that was my fix for the week

.

I made the Hollandaise with a typical recipe:

4 egg yolks
juice of a lemon
dash of cayenne
dash of salt
1/2 cup melted butter

I used the had blender and a 4 cup glass measure. Make sure the butter is steaming hot. Combine all and drizzle the hot butter while blending. I had a shallot so I chopped that up in there too. It was thick and rich and the perfect foil for the roasted asparagus.

Just so you know, I screwed this up a bit and made it before I looked up the recipe. I used 2 whole eggs and it was all a bit thin so I placed atop a double boiler, whisked it constantly and it quickly tightened up. Not sure if it tasted all that different. I am under the firm opinion that almost anything can be rescued. Don't try to reheat this in the microwave, does not work, live and learn.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Hollandaise is one of those things I haven't attempted yet in my cooking journey and want to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So easy! And as you can see even though I kinda screwed it up it still works. We had the leftover Hollandaise on grilled Salmon tonight (it was on sale today!) Delish!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...