Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July Dinner

Today is a lazy day. I got up early and mowed the lawn. All the neighbors are gone it looks like and I grilled on Sunday so today is all about fried chicken. The kids are gone or working so it's just us.
how is that for a well balanced plate?

The chicken has been soaking in buttermilk for 24 hours using Alton Brown's method. Today I will fry it after draining the buttermilk  then seasoning with 1T salt, 2 T paprika, 2t garlic powder and 1t cayenne pepper. Dredge the seasoned chicken in flour the fry in shortening at 325F for 15-20 mins per side. Now I haven't fried chicken in ages but here goes. To accompany this rare feast, I am cooking collard greens and Roasted Creamed Parmesan Onions (recipe under 'Vegetables'). There may be some sweet corn too if I am lucky.

PS: I got lucky! The stand still had some corn.   The chicken was great and crisp but a dark mahogany color, moist and tender inside. The onions are crazy good and the collards are fantastic with a bit of vegetable seasoning and salt. This was an A+ meal. Yum.

TIP:  I don't usually find such useful information online but this really works. I cooked the corn by popping it in the microwave for 8-10 minutes, husks and all. When it was done, I cut the bottoms off, held it by the silky tops and shook out the cooked cobs, virtually silk free! Yay it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...