Saturday, August 18, 2012

Chili Colorado Burritos... Sunday Dinner

Pinned Image

I can't use canned enchilada sauce. I have to make my own and its a messy, sloppy endeavor but worth it. Before I could make the Chili Colorado, I had to make a batch of sauce. After reconstituting about a gallon bag full of dry chilies, I strained them and add 2 T toasted Cumin, salt, 4 cloves of garlic, a jalapeno and a little sugar (Brenda thought it was a little bitter).

Fareway Grocer had  some nice looking chuck roast on sale so I bought a few. I cubed one about 2 pounds, dusted it with flour and browned in a skillet. It all goes in my slow cooker for 12 hours on a bed of onions with the freshly made Chili sauce. Looking good so far.

I found the Chili sauce to be a bit one dimensional today and I wanted this to be a memorable meal so I researched a bit and decided to make an Enchilada sauce from scratch. First I strained the meat from the cooked sauce and used it to flavor the Enchilada Sauce. The Enchilada sauce was surprisingly easy to make.

Enchilada Sauce

2 T flour and butter
4 c chicken broth
1 can tomato sauce
2 t granulated garlic
1 t oregano
2 T good chili powder
1 t cocoa
pinch of cinnamon
1 cup (or more) of the Chili sauce  (from above)
Salt

Make a roux (melt butter and whisk in flour), add the broth, allow to thicken then add the rest. Cook for 20 minutes or so. Taste and adjust the seasoning. I found this to have the depth of flavor that the Chili sauce alone did not have. Its pretty tasty.  I made 6 large burritos and 3 smaller low carb enchiladas. Topped with cheese and all bubbling away in the oven as we speak. I covered the dish so it did not brown too rapidly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...