Friday, August 31, 2012

Wednesday dinner...Mahi

I had a package of Mahi in the freezer from Trader Joe's. It was not the usual filets but random chunks.  As it was, I had come home from an exhausting day and apparently passed out on the sofa till about 6. Feeling groggy and a bit cranky, I got up and made dinner. The previous day at the market we found gigantic heads of cauliflower cheap so I had Brenda cut up about 2 cups of florets.

For the thawed fish (I took it out before I passed out), dried it and coated it in flour. Nothing else. I sauteed it in a bit of butter and olive oil till golden and crispy, set it aside.

For the veggies I made this:



Aloo Gobi

450gms Potatoes
450gms Gobi (Cauliflower florets)
2 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 no. Chopped green chillies (I had jalapenos)
1 tsp Coriander paste (I used powdered both here and cumin)
1 tsp Cumin paste
1/4 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric paste (powdered)
1 tsp Chopped coriander leaves
Salt To Taste
My recipe called for mustard seeds too.

How to make aloo ghobi :
Par boil the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
  • Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the cumin seeds for about 2 minutes, until they begin to splutter. Add the green chili and fry for a further 1 minute.
  • Add the cauliflower florets and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, the ground spices and salt and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the vegetable are tender.
I had no potatoes in the house save for a few canned ones. They worked great!  Basically I par boiled the cauliflower a bit and then made the rest. I cut up the canned spuds and added them in. Great dish, really great. Beautiful color too.

I got up at 6 pm and we ate at 625. How's that for fast food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...