Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Celebration

We spent the evening with the Fangman's, Mackenzie, Steve and Ben. A combined supper theme, the Fangman's brought some beautiful tenderloins and entrusted them to my care. Matt is a great griller and has made us some dandy steaks in the past but the temp was so cold I just couldn't stand out side in the dark so I opted for a pan sear with an oven finish. (I read the new issue of Bon Appetit)  We brought some King Crab, twice baked potatoes and a Caesar Salad. I also made a little dish of Au Gratin Brussels Sprouts for Lori.

On the way home from work I knew I did not have a pan big enough for a pan sear of 6 or seven steaks so I stopped and purchased a 14" cast iron skillet to do the job.

When I got home, I started the twice baked potatoes and made the Caesar Dressing (under Salads) and the Bearnaise (Mackenzie's favorite) for the steaks. I pre split all the crab to make it a little easier for the guests and I made Killer bread for Mackenzie.

When the steaks arrived at room temp and about 2 inches thick, I heated 2 T oil in the cast iron till smoking then salt and peppered the steaks and placed them in the pan. About 1-2 minutes per side gave a beautiful sear then turn them and sear again. You may even want to clean the pan at that point, reheat and sear the second side. Into a 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes for a perfect medium, medium rare. And I mean perfect. Everything to the table, a little grace and Yum!

We had a lot of wine, our new favorite Cote du Rhone and other tasty treats like Gelato, spinach dip and shrimp cocktail. All in all it was a memorable evening of food and drink and conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...