Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Taxi's Cabbage and Blue Cheese Soup

Aww...c'mon keep an open mind.  It sounds weird but this is some soup. Velvety with tender-crisp cabbage and the added twang of Bleu Cheese. So easy to make and filling as well as satisfying. I paired it with toast points of marbled rye to compliment the flavors. I used the basic recipe from Taxi's but you knew I couldn't stop there so I added a few touches to make sure this was the real deal. The soup at the restaurant was delicious but loaded with fat from all the cream. I love thick and creamy soups so I use a little flour to thicken the base and then add a touch of cream to add the richness but not all the fat. I think it worked well here. This stuff was excellent.  I figured about 6 servings here at 275 calories per serving. Not bad for a low carb, very high flavor meal.



Ingredients

1/4 butter
1 onion chopped
bay leaf
1 head of shredded cabbage
1/2 tbl caraway seed  (I left this out, not a fan)
3 1/2 c broth ( I used Vegetable, the recipe called for chicken)
4 ounces bleu cheese
2 cups heavy cream ( I used about a 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup of half and half)
white pepper
1/2 tbl dry sherry

Personal additions

2 slices of processed Swiss, 1/4 c flour, 1/4 c bleu cheese dressing. The dressing really upped the flavor.

Saute the onion and bay leaf in the butter till the onion is translucent. Add the cabbage , caraway.  Add a bit of salt here. Cook till the cabbage wilts. (At this point I would add about a 1/4 c of flour and mix it in and mix it in well to the cabbage) Add the broth and simmer for 15 minutes to blend the flavors and allow the broth to thicken. Add the Swiss cheese, blue cheese and the blue cheese dressing. Stir well till melted. Stir in cream (do not boil at this point). Season with sherry and white pepper.

Top with bleu cheese crumbles and toast points.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...