Monday, June 3, 2013

Food and odd weather and lazy days

Firstly we went back to J. Coco's on Friday to celebrate our 32nd anniversary. We had a great bottle of wine and did not indulge in all the extras as the last visit served plenty of food.  We ordered a nice Washington State wine that was spicy with clove and cinnamon. A lovely Cabernet called Seven Falls Wahluke Slope.
 I had the Duck while my lovely bride had the 3 fillet medallions. We both had the wedge salad which was great and did not order an extra veggie just stuck with what came with the meal. It was very filling. the duck was sublime and crispy. So delicious!


 The weekend came and went without much fanfare.  We were going out of town then decided against it and shopped ourselves silly but bought hardly anything. Found a few more plants for the backyard, cooked a nice flat iron Saturday night which I sliced and used on this pizza:
It was just so tasty with Heinz 57 sauce and blue cheese to compliment the steak, mushrooms and fresh mozzarella.  On our outing we had run across some sale meats that looked tempting for jerky so I marinaded the meat and forgot about it till late Sunday. That meant drying in the over overnight. The smell of jerky all night kept waking me and making my stomach growl. in the morning before work today this is what I reaped for all my efforts:

It was mighty tasty when I tested several strips for quality assurance!

I have a convection oven that allows me to run the fan at lower temps. I generally marinate the meat in a mixture of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder with a squirt of Siracha. I spray a few metal racks with cooking spray and lay them on lined baking pans. It takes a good 8 to 12 hours to dry out the meat. This week we found thin cut Milanese and a thicker round steak cut about 3/16 of an inch thick. The thinner meat would have benefited from a shorter session as it turned out crispier than I care for but still tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...