Monday, July 1, 2013

Eating Omaha...Salt 88 and Lori's Birthday!

We were invited to join the Fangman's in honor Lori's birthday and to try a new Omaha eatery, Salt 88. I asked if I could bring dessert and made a rustic Plum Tart with Pate Sucre.


The Pate Sucre is basically a sweet pie crust that is free form and filled with whatever is in season. I had anticipated guests this weekend for dinner but they bailed on us so I have a new opportunity to use all those plums I purchased.

The Crust:

2 1/4 c flour
2 sticks of butter
1 teas salt
1 Tablespoon sugar

I cut the frozen butter with  a cheese grater and mixed it with the dry ingredients. Using ice cold water I quickly formed a sticky dough that I divided in half and wrapped in plastic for the fridge. I attempted to work the dough as little as possible to avoid making it tough and keep the butter visible throughout the dough.

When it came time to roll it out, I used parchment paper and flour to quickly roll out a large circle. To this I added the prepared plums and folded over he edges to enclose the fruit. I brushed the dough with cream and sprinkled with sugar crystals. Baked at 400 for about 15-20 minutes.
Ready to pop in the oven.

Bone in NY Strip
Miso Salmon




The whole darn gang! Happy Birthday Miss Fangman! Thanks for dinner Mat.

At 630 we had a reservation for dinner. Mat was kind enough to invite us along with Lori's sister, Diane and her husband Chris.  We always feel like a part of the family with the Fangman's.  The table ordered a mix of Salmon either Miso or Plank Fired. Brenda had the Veal Chop which was the hit of the evening and Chris and I had the Bone In Strip. The meals were delicious although I was not all that impressed with the steak. For appetizers, we had the Avocado Egg Rolls which were great and the Charcuterie Platter which featured cheeses and cured meats with accoutrements. Notable also was the side salad with a Spicy Orange Vinaigrette Dressing. A nice tingly dressing that was just right on the sweetness scale. I need that recipe.

Later, back at the Fangman's, we shared the Plum Tart which I had hoped would have been sweeter especially since the Plums were so darn sweet raw but I found it a bit tart personally. All in all it was good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and everyone seemed satisfied. Everyone liked their dinners and I think a return trip might be necessary to try the Veal Chop.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...