Sunday, September 29, 2013

Random Cooking and painting

I was alone all weekend and a little bored. I went to the Art Fair and painted but there were lonely stretches of nothingness and random grocery trips. My friend, Doug brought me some Pobalanos a week ago and a recipe for pesto to be eaten on steaks. I roasted the peppers are peeled them and left them in the fridge so they would not spoil. Yesterday I got out the mini blender and processed the peppers with other ingredients to make the pesto. It was surprisingly good.

Pabalno Pesto by Melissa D'Arabian

2 poblano's roasted skinned
1/2 grated Parmesan
1/4 c chopped cilantro
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 T chili powder
1/2 vegetable oil
Salt
Red or green chili (opt)

I just processed all the above to a smooth sauce. I did add a very hot Green Chili to take it up a notch.

Brenda returns home today to NY Strips and this sauce.

Randomly I have had Philly Steak Sandwiches on the brain. I was born in Philly and lived there randomly between my Dad's assignments as a career Navy man. The corner grocer was my favorite place to grab a steak sandwich and I ate them everyday. I remember them wrapped in wax paper and I remember how Nicky's little grocery smelled and recollections of the aisles and foods. I have tried to capture that essence ever since but always fail. I have made some pretty good sandwiches but none like Nicky's.

While I was out I picked up a small eye of round and froze it for a while before slicing it, by hand, paper thin slices. I seared the meat over very high heat in a cast iron skillet after the onions and mushrooms.




I wish I would have taken a photo of the finished sandwich schmeared with Cheese Whiz and topped with a heady layer of meat, onions and mushrooms but I succumbed to my primal instincts and took a bite before remembering to get my camera. It was good but no Nicky's. Sigh, back to the frying pan...maybe a Rib eye would be better?

Like I said I also painted. I am working on a complicated icon for the church so while the paint was drying on that project I finished another that has been in the works for a year off and on. My condolences to Thomas Arvid for the cheap imitation of his fine work but like any student I copy master works to enhance my own skills. While this may or may not look like a viable piece of art, it is in no way comparable to the original. He has a photo quality to his work that is amazing. I use his pieces to help me paint bottles with convincing shadows and reflections. Fortunately they go well in our home as most of my efforts are rather large. Here is the latest and if you have ever been to our home you can't help but notice the 50 inch canvas on the family room that dominates a wall. This one is smaller but the bottles are actually larger but fewer than my former efforts. I have just a bit left on the icon but I am calling this painting finished.
A total knock off of Thomas Arvid but a great exercise in reflected surface and shadow. My apologies to the artist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...