Saturday, May 3, 2014

Chow Chow the easier way

After I had assembled all the ingredients for the previous post, I decided it was way too complicated and long so I went the easy way.

Hot Chow Chow

1 small head of cabbage
1 medium onion
1 Anaheim Chili
3 Jalepenos seeded
1 large Red pepper
3 Tomatillas

Shred the above either by food processor or by hand

I did salt and drain this overnight then rinse and squeeze in the a.m. but then I realized I had to add a cup of water to the mix so why?  Just place all the shredded veggies in a pot and add the following:

1 cup white vinegar
1 c cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
3 T salt
1 t mustard seed
1 t celery seed
1 t pickling spice
1 t turmeric (makes it yellow)

Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Check the seasoning adding more salt or sugar as desired or whatever flavoring you have in mind. Some recipes called for bay leaf.

Can in pint jars and process 10-15 minutes. I added a healthy squirt or 3 or 4 of Siracha cause it need more heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...