Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Stuffed Peppers with Chipotle Cream sauce

Jill delivered corn and peppers fresh from the field the other day. The Anaheim Peppers have a short shelf life as they continue to ripen and eventually spoil on the counter.  I could not let these beauties go to waste on my watch....
Large and firm, I first laid them on the open flame of the gas stove to blister the skins off of them. Banana Peppers seem to have a more tender skin and I usually don't worry about them but these have a outer shell like plastic so off it comes. Once skinned, split and seeded, I started on the filling.

I went with my old standby since I have a dew shrimps in the freezer.  A medium onion, a clove of garlic sauteed in olive oil, a teaspoon of Old Bay and a cup or so of bread crumbs. About a pound of cleaned de-veined medium shrimps thrown in at the end so as not to overcook them, I sauteed the whole mess then added enough cream to moisten the filling for stuffing.

For the Chipotle  Cream I made a medium Bechamel Sauce and added about 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar, a good glug of hot sauce and a teaspoon of Chipotle powder.  I spooned filling in the split peppers and laid them in a greased casserole on a bed of sauce. I filled the pan with them then added any extra filling on top of the peppers. Everything was covered with the remaining sauce and a bit of cheese then baked at 350 till golden and bubbly. Like this....

Really, really good. Thanks Schabens for your generosity of produce and lovely daughter. So much fun to visit with.  Brenda suggested next time a hamburger and red sauce so I still have a few peppers left. Sounds like a plan. Today I am roasting a bunch of tomatoes and garlic for the freezer and eventually Roasted Tomato Soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...