Tuesday, January 26, 2016

On a Cold Winter's Night...Pot Roast

Nothing beats a pot roast and when they are on sale, watch out. I am all over that. Super easy to prepare and always tender and melting. I used the crock pot of course and stopped on the way home for Denich 'potatoes' known in you country as turnips. Low carb and high fiber potato subs in our home I would serve them to guests. Anything prepared with a splash of cream and knob of butter can't be all bad.

My mom occasionally served a pot roast with a Yorkshire pudding but I opt for its glamorous step child, the Popover. Rarely do I get them to turn out this spectacular even though I have a real pan for them. The secret is making sure everything is room temp or warmer.

Ok. The recipe for Popovers
Preheat oven to 450. Prepare pan with cooking spray

1 1/2 c flour
 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 Cup milk, room temp
4 eggs room temp ( place in warm water out the fridge to hurry them along.)

3 tbs drippings or butter

Mix wet ingredients thoroughly including butter. Mix flour and salt them combine all and mix till frothy.

Pour batter into cups 2/3 to 3/4 full

Place pan in oven on lower rack and set timer for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes turn down oven to 350 and bake another 10-15 minutes.

Remove from oven and make a small slit in each to allow steam to escape. Serve immediately.

I placed the leftovers in the fridge and had one this morning after I microwaved it for 20 secs. It was great.

Pot Roast

Everyone has a favorite method, this is mine.

I prepped the crock pot with a layer of sliced onions, a few cloves of crushed garlic, thyme and a bay leaf. Since my roast was frozen solid the night before...I placed it on top of the onions and left it overnight, covered in the crock pot. The next a.m. I placed 1 can of broth, a few carrots and let it go on low for 8-10 hours.

I strained the drippings, setting aside the fat for the popovers. I browned 8 ounces of mushrooms in a saute pan then added the fat free broth I skimmed. I used some of the fat to mix with equal parts flour and added that to the gravy to thicken. 

For the turnips, I peeled about 4 large ones. Diced them and put them in a pot with salted water. When tender after about 15 minutes, I drained them well. I used my immersion blender and a knob of butter and a few tablespoons of cream and pureed them. Salt and pepper to taste.












No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...