Thursday, January 28, 2016

Pot Roast Leftovers....

What to do, what to do?

I know this looks like a hot mess but...
I know Brenda is getting a little tired of my enchilada nights but I still crave something cheesy and luscious so I made a little enchilada sauce from the new Bon Appetit but it proved a bit much and my lovely bride revealed she is not a huge fan of red sauce.  So, on to plan B.

I  finished making the sauce anyway and then moved on to making some spectacular enchiladas. I have a package of low carb tortillas burning a hole in my pantry and a lot of cheese including fresh mozzarella. 

The sauce as I mentioned came from this months issue of Bon Appetit and it's pretty easy to make if you have all the stuff lying around and I happen to have 2 older bags of dried chilies. I went for it but he first taste was really off putting. I checked the recipe but left nothing out. It was just awful to the point I didn't want to taste it again but taste I did. Hmmm...sugar? A spoonful of sugar to offset the bitterness.  It still lacked depth...fish sauce? anchovies? beef bullion?  Racking my brain, I opted for bullion, just a teaspoon and the flavor corrected itself. Maybe it was the salt I don't know but it made the difference. Did I tell you that it is hot? It is hot.

Brenda did share that she is a fan of the Chipotle Cream sauce I made for the enchiladas last week. Ok, I can do that again but I am eyeing my red sauce.

I dipped tortillas in the red sauce and coated them well, filled them with shredded roast beef and a thick slice of fresh mozzarella then rolled them up. I only make 4 to keep us from overeating. I placed them in a pre-sprayed casserole, spooned a bit more red sauce, then topped everything with the Chipotle Cream and cheese. Baked until bubbly at 350. Great flavor and the combined sauces were a perfect match.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...