Friday, February 5, 2016

Leftover Meatloaf to Pizza

I am not sure what I was thinking when I thawed a pound of ground beef and ground pork. I made one very large meatloaf and we ate and snacked on it most of the week, but by the end of the week there was a good sized hunk left and I had no idea what to do.

I bought a pizza dough from Trader Joe's last Sunday and that had to be used as well so...meatloaf pizza. The dough came out of the fridge to rise on the counter a bit and I chopped up the remaining meatloaf and added it to a skillet with a bit of olive oil. In retrospect, it may have been best to use a non stick skillet. I added a bit of fennel to make it taste more like sausage and browned it up a bit using a bit of water to scrape up the brown bits and then set it aside.

I simply assembled the pizza as usual. Pre heat the oven to 450.  Oil the dough generously on a  piece of parchment and spread it out evenly. This crust is amazing and less than a $1.50.

Next came the remaining sauce form the last pizza I made (lucky me!), the newly revitalized meatloaf and a few handfuls of cheese.  Worked well. I did not take a picture as you have seen my pizza before but this time the unusual meat treatment was a bonus. It kinda tasted like sausage albeit I started with and Italian style meatloaf, but the addition of a teaspoon of broken fennel seeds made a nice change.

I see our life changing a lot lately especially with cooking over the last year. I really don't cook as much with our friends out of Omaha now and when I cook I am not so much about scaling back. I cook with an eye towards the rest of the week and what I can take to lunch the next day. On the other hand, I have made some great new food out of leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...