Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Steak Pasta and Ben's Birthday

Our schedule was a little wonky this week. Ben came into town for a grad school interview and it was his birthday. We could not hit his favorite restaurant, J. Coco's but we managed to catch a meal at The Millard Roadhouse for fried chicken which was on my pre Lenten bucket list so we killed 2 birds.

Since I was cooking last night I decided to make one of his favorite Dad recipe dishes, Steak Pasta.  I had to do a little shopping and found some nice Rib eye steaks to use for the meat portion and it turns out to be a  great choice. I will use Rib eye from now on. Tender and perfectly cooked when added to the rich sauce. I have posted this recipe before but failed to take a photo of it again so he it is without photos.

Steak pasta for 4

I used a pound of rib eyes (2 steaks) pre salted
Olive oil
8 ounces Cremini mushrooms sliced thick
1 tbs butter
1/2 cup white wine

1 cup or more of heavy cream
2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
4-5 ounces of halved cherry tomatoes
3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
3 ounces shaved Parmesan

1 pound Fettuccine pasta, cooked and drained

Starting with a  screaming hot cast iron skillet, I coated it with a thin layer of olive oil then added the salted steaks and seared each side for a few minutes till nicely browned and crusted. About a medium rare, I set them aside on a plate.

I added a tablespoon of butter and added the mushrooms and let them get some color. A little extra olive oil was added to keep them going then I set them aside. I de-glazed the pan with the white wine.

Meanwhile I trimmed and cut the steak into bite sized pieces removing the fat. 

The cream was put into the pan with the crushed garlic cloves.  After the cream came to a boil, I added the tomatoes and cheeses. Cook for a minute then add back the mushrooms with juices and steak chunks with juices. Let heat thru then serve over cooked pasta and top with blue cheese crumbles. The steak ends up a nice medium and very tender.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...