Thursday, July 28, 2016

Bon Attempts

I had thoughts of crispy hot chicken, Nashville style like Trish Yearwood did it but not sure where the fail happened. Firstly I am not a big fan of her recipes but this caught my eye. I think the biggest mistake besides not cutting the chicken thin enough, was double dipping the chicken the way she did it.  To be honest I thought the coating was too thick and gummy and it was okay that night but the leftovers were not so great. Must have been bad because my number one critic, who normally does not eat the breading, picked this off right directly. The surprise was the thighs I used stayed  moist and tender through the cooking process.

So more of a fail than a hit. Fried chicken needs to be left to the pros. I can make a great panko breaded cutlet but that flour/ cornstarch coating seems to elude me.

Lately we have not been eating all that much. I grilled some chicken with smoke last weekend and that was pretty good. Enough left for Brenda to take on salads. I used a Sriracha rub that I mixed with vinegar and oil to coat the crispy skin.  That worked pretty well. I like this rub for chicken and will use it again just as a rub to see if I can get more flavor out of it.

  We have a new market in town called Fresh Thyme. Very nice kind of a cross between Trader Joe's and Natural Grocers. Lots of nice specials on items, weird hippy dippy stuff, great produce and a small wine section. I bought shrimps there for $5.99 a pound for 16-20 size. Not bad, right?   We eat a ton of shrimp and since it's been fairly cheap here, quite often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...