Thursday, August 11, 2016

Spring Rolls

How cool and refreshing do these look? It is so hot outside and I didn't plan this meal because of heat but it worked out great. No cooking and easy prep made for a low calorie, fasting friendly dinner. A happy accident for sure.

Super easy to assemble but it will take a bit of practice to get nice tight wraps on this filling. In this case, less is more.

I used:
1 pound bag of frozen shrimp, thawed, tail off.
1 pkg rice papers
1/2 pkg rice noodles
1 head red leaf lettuce, a few leaves ribs removed
3/4 c bean sprouts
2 green onions shredded green and white parts
Shredded carrots
Shredded red cabbage or slaw
One bunch of cilantro, just leaves
 the recipe called for mint leaves too but I opted out.

For the sauce:

1/2 c hoisin sauce
1/4 c smooth peanut butter
1 tbl rice vinegar
1/4 c water
Squirt of Sriracha

I used the small/medium shrimps that I did not have to cut in half. I soaked the noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes then drained them.
With everything prepped and set up, begin by soaking a rice paper in water for 5-10 seconds. I placed the paper on a large plate the started with the shrimps (3) , shredded ingredients, noodles then a lettuce leaf. Roll tight, bring in sides then complete the roll. It sticks to itself well.  After making these, I figured less is better in the future making them easier to roll tight. Using the cilantro after the shrimps offsets their color and makes a nice display in the roll.  I stored them on a plate in the fridge till dinner.

I made about 8 rolls with only 1/2 the ingredients I purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...