Thursday, August 11, 2022

Pizza!

 Since our last foray into pizza making, mid July, I have bought a Ooni Pizza gas oven. We seasoned the oven last week and gave it a trial run. I made 4 250 gm dough balls out of dough I made 72 hours in advance. I made my own sauce, riffing off Marcella Hazan’s simple recipe. 




The dough is pretty basic. I used bread flour and I think the handling of the dough for 72 hours is what makes it great. I took it out of the fridge day of baking and proofed it for several hours before making the pizza. I am using the Baking Steel website and technique for the dough and it does not disappoint. 

The link to the dough recipe:

https://bakingsteel.com/pages/how-to-master-your-pizza-doughs?_pos=10&_sid=8fc5f6b7d&_ss=r


The sauce is also basic but this time I used a combination of fresh tomato and canned tomato sauce.the sauce came out incredibly smooth and a little sweet despite having just tomatoes, salt, onion and Italian seasoning in it. I have a variety of garden tomatoes this year so not sure who the culprit is that added the sweetness but I suspect the Italian Pear tomato I used, new this year to the garden. 
 
More to come as we experiment with new toppings and techniques. God help my Guinea pig friends and neighbors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...