Saturday, November 19, 2011

Turkey Gravy....

Well...it's never too early to start cooking for me so today I picked up some gigantic turkey wings, about 2 pounds a piece. I am roasting them now about to make the stock for the gravy I will serve on Thursday. I can freeze the broth or keep it super cold till then. On Thursday I will make the roux and finish the gravy. Ok so I am a little compulsive about some things but last two years I have made this gravy I wanted to drink it for a main course.  From Tyler Florence the recipe follows:

2 pounds of Turkey wings
1 onion quartered (not peeled)
1 head of garlic halved (un peeled)
3 carrots chopped
1/2 bunch of sage
1/2 bunch of thyme
8 peppercorns
3 tbls olive oil

2 tbls butter
1/4 c flour
Salt and pepper

Roast the wings in a small roaster, 400 degrees till golden. About 30 mins

Heat 3 tbls olive oil to a heavy stock pot and add the vegetables, peppercorns and herbs. Cook for 5 minutes then add the turkey wings and  cold water to cover. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1-2 hours.
Make sure you add water to turkey roaster and scrape up all the brown bits and add that to the pot also.
Strain and set aside warm.  Clean the pot and the butter then flour. Toast the flour then add the broth, wisking lumps away and thickening the gravy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...