Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bird brining...101

So...yesterday I took the 18 pounder and the extra breast from the fridge, cleaned them and got them ready for the brining process.

Firstly, find a container* big enough to brine the bird. That was a challenge. A few months ago I posted a "Pot Love" article and that's the pot I used. It is at least 5 gallons or more. It took a LOT of brine but the basic recipe is the same...1/2 cup salt to 8 cups of water with 1/2 cup of sugar. I laced the brine with peppercorns, Rosemary and garlic. 24 hours in this wet brine then out tonight for a nice dry out in the fridge, uncovered to help the skin crisp up. That ought to do it. 

*For normal peoples, I found that the large chip bag from Qdoba makes an excellent heavy duty brining bag also. My bird was a bit too large for that this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...