Monday, October 23, 2017

Cooking Under Pressure

I succumbed to the new trend and picked up a Instant Pot pressure cooker at Walmart after doing a fair amount of research.

This all started a few weeks ago during a cold snap and Baker's grocery had some nice looking arm roasts at the meat counter and Brenda, who hardly ever asks for anything for dinner, wanted a pot roast.

Now 2 o'clock in the afternoon is hardly the time to start thinking pot roast in a slow cooker but we picked up a roast and set a path for home. It took hours, and then more hours. I believe we ate that night around 730-8 o'clock.  I was lamenting the fact that if these darn pressure cookers actually  work the way they are promoted, this would not have been an issue. Turns out they do work this way and I prepared a roast this past Sunday in 1 hour ( 2 hours to complete the meal) that was better than the slow cooked one by far.

Since I am new to the Instant Pot game, I have a lot to learn but the roast came together relatively quickly and my skepticism aside, came out fantastic.
 
 
Super tender and very flavorful, that being to the recipe I used which include a umami palate of ingredients that normally don't add to my roast. I will now of course.
 
 
 
Here is the link to the recipe I used. Notice this recipe has fish sauce and soy sauce in it. These are essential umami ingredients that add that flavor in the background. Follow these instructions and you will hit pot roast nirvana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...