Saturday, March 31, 2018

Cheese and Onion Enchiladas

Before you start in on me, we did not fast fully this year for Lent as my recovery required a fuller protein intake that I cannot get fasting typically. We modified our fast this year to a few days a week to ensure I lost no more weight and actually gained a few pounds to promote healing. We limited our meat intake as we usually do during our weekly regiment.

I had some flour street taco tortillas and a lot of cheese in the fridge. I found a can of enchilada sauce I forgot I bought  and so I was in business.

Firstly, the sauce.  I like authentic enchilada sauce and usually make my own. For a canned sauce,  I look to make sure no tomatoes are listed in the ingredients, just peppers.

Here is my brand of sauce and if you like authentic taste, this is your sauce. It tasted exactly like my homemade sauce but so much less work.
 
I started the enchiladas by cooking my chopped onions just till softened slightly. A medium size onion was plenty. I had all kinds of cheese, mozzarella, cheddar and gouda. I grated a good amount of all and mixed a few cups with the onions, reserving some for topping. I added about 1/4 cup of chopped, pickled jalepenos too.

I poured some of the sauce in a flat bowl and soaked the tortillas before filling with a few tablespoons of the filling, rolling and placing seam side down in a greased casserole. I like this street taco size tortilla, just big enough for a serving of 2 for a meal. Once the pan was full, more sauce was ladled over then topped with cheese. Baked at 350 till bubbly and then served with sour cream and salsa. Yum. Even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...