Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Dinner for Nicholas, the birthday boy....




Shrimp Bake with Feta and Fennel

Nicholas celebrated his birthday with all of us so I had to have something special. Normally that means a big hunk of meat or ribs but I wanted a little lighter fare this day with the heat and this dish turned out great and definitely a make again. I found 13 to the pound shrimp locally so I bought 2 pounds and the rest was easy.

Mediterranean Shrimp, Feta and Fennel Bake

1 cup of chopped Fennel (about 1 large bulb)
1 can of diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Fire Roasted)
2 T tomato paste
1 large garlic clove minced
1 shallot minced
1/4 c dry white wine
2 T olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 t dry Oregano
2 T Pernod (opt) (most of my eaters with tolerate the faint licorice taste of the fennel but this adds a bit more)
4 - 6  ounces of cooked orzo pasta, al dente.
8 ounces Feta block, cubed
2 pounds shelled raw shrimp, tails on
juice 1/2 lemon

Bread Crumb Mixture

1 cup fresh bread crumbs ( four or five slices white bread)
 zest from whole lemon
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
2 T olive oil
Combine all and toss with a fork.



Use a large oven safe skillet. Heat 2 T olive oil and sautĂ© the fennel till soft and a little browned. Add the mince garlic and shallot and cook for about a minute then add the white wine. Reduce this a bit the add the canned tomatoes, juice and all and the tomato paste. I let this simmer a bit then added the al dente pasta I have cooked in the microwave (drained)  This was my addition and I omitted the Pernod altogether.

I removed the pan from the heat, set the oven to 400 and topped the tomato/ pasta mixture with the shrimps arranged tails up neatly on top. I covered the dish with the cubed Feta cheese then the bread crumb mixture.  I placed in the middle of the hot oven for just 15 minutes and the shrimps were perfected cooked. (remember they were large so...adjust the time accordingly). Top with a final squeeze of lemon juice.

Served with a side salad and fresh French loaves, this was a big hit.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...