Tuesday, September 11, 2018

So where were you on 9-11?

I remember this day clearly as I had just landed in D.C. on Monday for the annual Transcatheter Therapy Conference (TCT) and was looking forward to registration on Tuesday. It was to be a  quick trip and I was mostly about the vendor show as we were in the market for some equipment at work.

I had left Monday in my usual rush, looking forward to D.C. as always and the conference was always a good source of information and reconnecting with a lot of people I knew in the industry. I didn't take much cash with me, typical poor planning on my part but rarely did I need cash at these things. There were lots of reps that offer dinner and a lot of dinner meetings offered by major companies.  My hotel was the JW Marriot on the corner of the National Mall just down the street from the White House and a great view of the Washington Monument from my window on the 4th floor. D.C. was a busy, bustling madhouse Tuesday morning as usual. The TV was on but I was busy getting ready to register and grab some breakfast when the phone rang in my room. Brenda, asking if I was Ok?

A plane just flew into one of the twin towers. I could now see that on TV. Not sure why this did not register earlier but they were talking about the Oklahoma City bombing and I wasn't following closely. As she said something about a plane also hitting the Pentagon, I looked out the window precisely as a plume of black smoke drifted behind the memorial across the way.  It was all so surreal as I looked around my limited view of the city and noticed snipers on the roof next door and a huge array of sirens and activity down below.

The rest of the day was a blur as I tried to sort out what to do in the event of a massive catastrophe and being so far from home. The registration never opened that day or the ensuing days and eventually the conference was cancelled after a brief plenary session with all the attendees that had shown up.  The roads in and out of the city were blocked so if you were not there Monday or early Tuesday corning, you were not coming in our going out. The next few days were stunned silence and little movement on the streets below.

I remember finding the National Orthodox Russian cathedral on a map and started walking as it was the feast of the Elevation of the Cross. No buses or taxis were operating and the city, by Thursday, was a ghost town. All the hustle and bustle had subsided and no one was around. After about 3+  miles I found the church just past the Naval Observatory and stayed there for most of the afternoon as it was going to be a long walk back to the hotel. The bells and familiar service and vigil were a comfort and I could have stayed there forever. I really had nothing better to do. On Friday, the Smithsonian had reopened so I occupied my time revisiting the exhibits I had seen so many times when I was a kid living in Bethesda.

My agent had made multiple reservations on a flight home on Saturday after Dulles reopened. I had flown into Washington National but that remained closed. I have no idea the cab fare to Dulles would be so much and gave the taxi driver my last dime which didn't cover the fare. I was just so glad to be on my way home. Several of the docs I knew from Cedar Rapids offered me a ride to that city but I held out for a direct flight. One of the reservations finally hit and I had a seat out. Sadly, so many did not survive the attack.

1 comment:

  1. BUY HIGH QUALITY UNDETECTED COUNTERFEIT MONEY(WHATSAPP +1612-470-3458).


    We produce and sell perfect Grade A counterfeit banknotes of over 52 currencies in the world.Here is your chance to be a millionaire.our money is perfectly reproduced with All security features available. Indistinguishable to the eye and touch,Authentic note bills with different serial numbers on Each note,holograms and all security features.We have the papers (substrate) already engraved designed front and back of the various currencies of Each denomination.All Notes will pass major test like ultra violet light, pencil test,many more fake money detection we sent it in various sizes, packed and hidden.All our notes carries all the holograms and water marks and passes the light detector test.we have a Hugh quantity ready in stock.

    We supply the latest automatic ssd solution,Rapid Cleaning Liquid ( Light brown Color ) & Rapid Cleaning Powder ( black color ), Excantine de Oxeyde R5 Powder Solution( Neavy blue color booting Powder ), Dark brown color Liquid & Off white color Powder, microfilm currencies,Vectrol Paste, Lactima Base 98%, microtectine and Tebi- Matonic, ssd cleaning machines,universal chemicals, vectrol paste,black and white notes,activating powders and specialize in cleaning all types of defaced notes, black notes,white notes anti-breeze, stamped, marked or stained currency. We melt

    and re-activate frozen chemicals and offer 100% cleaning for bills like dollar, euro, pounds and transferring of colours from used note to new white bills.

    The SSD solution in its full range is the BEST CHEMICAL on the market for

    cleaning Anti breeze bank notes, defaced currency, marked notes and the

    likes. You will be amazed by the power and rapidity of this CHEMICAL. It is

    capable of cleaning notes/currency with BREEZE capacity. We Stock limited

    SSD Solution for cleaning the ANTI-BREEZE BANK NOTE or the 'Black Money'

    CONTACT US FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO BUY.

    WE SHIP WORLDWIDE ANONYMOUS DELIVERY AND SHIPPING


    SAFE SERVICES ALL ROUND.


    E-MAIL:( benjack20008@gmail.com)


    CALL AND TEXT :::::: +16304745867


     (WHATSAPP +1612-470-3458)



    AVAILABLE NOW IN STOCK/

    EUR - Euro,

    USD - US Dollar,

    GBP - British Pound,

    DNR- Dinar

    INR - Indian Rupee,

    AUD - Australian Dollar,

    CAD - Canadian Dollar,

    AED - Emirati Dirham,

    ZAR - Rand,

    CHF - Swiss Franc,

    CNY - Chinese Yuan Renminbi,

    MYR - Malaysian Ringgit,

    THB - Thai Baht,

    PRODUCTS AVAILABLE:

    SSD SOLUTION

    SSD Supreme Solution

    SSD universal Solution

    SSD SOLUTION PK 58

    CONSERVATION, ACTIVATION AND RE-ACTIVATION, PARACIENT POWDER

    VECTROL PASTE, ZUTA S4, CASTROX OXIDE

    THE TESTING DOSES

    AUTOMATED MONEY DEVELOPER MACHINES

    CONGEAL CHEMICAL MELTING EQUIPMENTS

    TEMPERATURE CONTROLLERS


    E-MAIL:( benjack20008@gmail.com)

    CALL AND TEXT :::::: +16304745867

     (WHATSAPP +1612-470-3458)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...