Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Eating Omaha....Timber Wood Fire Bistro

I am currently reading reviews for this Omaha establishment and trying to wrap my head around the ratings. I don't get it. Yes the food is good, not exceptional and the service is 5 star. The rest is...meh.

Last night was my third or forth visit to Timber and I was, as was the rest of my party, surprised at the dinky portions and terrible dessert.

As part of a large party where I was a guest,  I partook of  the prix fixe menu offered. Tenderloin Medallions, Prohibition Black Chicken  and Cedar Planked Steelhead Salmon were the three main choices. In the past, I have had the mac and cheese,  'Timber Mac' and the Lamb Burger. All delicious dishes and the generous portion of the mac and cheese led me to take half home for lunch the next day. The small burger, however,  left me wanting. The ladies 'loved' the pizza at $16 each, just 10 inches or so...

Last night illustrated a point. I choose the salmon while my buddies choose the filet medallions. Our plates arrived with excellent service, so that's not an issue, with a 1/2 cup portion of creamed potatoes, 6 grilled asparagus spears and in the case of the beef, two 3 ounce medallions of filet.  My salmon was identical except for a nicely grilled piece of salmon just 1-1 1/2 inches wide. About 4 ounces if I were to guess. The menu price was $26 for both entrees. If I had to pay for this I would have been mighty unhappy to be honest. I got a text from one of my friends after I got home that said "I'm still hungry". Yes, I would have to agree, it simply was not enough food. we joked about stopping at Arby's on the way home. No joke,  really.

This is not about the quality of the meal although dessert left something to be desired, or the service, which was excellent. Its about value and leaving a dinner with enough to eat. That did not happen.
Oh yes...and about dessert. German Chocolate cake, one of my favorites but here...a dry hockey puck of a molten lava cake, topped with the typical coconut frosting as well as whipped cream and dark cherries? Which is it? Black Forrest or German Chocolate? All the guests at our table left most of the dessert behind.

I would have a tough time giving this place 5 stars for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...