Friday, March 8, 2019

The Insurance Game

In this game we are all losers. I have spent the last few months dealing with my deductible status being gone since the surgery and New Year. Meds, products I need for my Urostomy and my diabetes sensor went up exponentially. I found out I don’t need a prescription for my appliances that I need to catch urine from my stoma. I found various on line sites that offer the supplies way cheaper than I could get locally or from medical supply companies.

I am insured by UMR and my personal deductible is $2700 per year. Everything till that total is met is a cash transaction.  The UMR insurer said to use Byram Healthcare for my sensors. Under the plan last year, I paid about $90 per month. After the first of the year I paid $180 per month. I started calling around and found a wide range of cash prices for the sensors. CVS pharmacy nestled in Target store just charged me $74 for a month supply. I had her check again. Is it possible to pay less in cash than insurance? Yes, Virginia, it is.

American healthcare is in trouble. What do people do that can not navigate the nonsense? How do you get a CT scan if you don’t have $850 up front to pay? I have a nice HSA but it’s still my money. My own facility where I work charges me to sit in their exam room. $74 after the negotiated rate down from $210 full fee. To sit in their exam room on top of the full cash price of the physicians visit that can range from $200 to $500. Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...