Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Italian Comfort Food...Passatelli in Brodo

 


Basically noodles in broth, this rich, satisfying soup hits all the notes.  Sturdy noodles made from bread crumbs, Parmesan and eggs with a bit of lemon and touch of nutmeg. The broth, while usually chicken, tonight was vegetable with a dose of Turmeric to give it color and health benefits. A hearty soup for a cold night, I started early today and looked forward all day to putting it together.  Since I didn’t want to hit the stores today with the snow and street situation, I used what I had on hand. I made the noodles while I had the mixer out and used my meat grinder attachment to press the pasta. Worked great! I allowed the pasta to hang out in the fridge, covered and dusted with flour. When it came time to eat, I brought the broth to a rolling boil, dropped the noodles in and let them simmer after I turned down the heat. It gave the broth a chance to thicken nicely before spooning into bowls with more Parmesan and a grind of black pepper (improves the bio availability of the Turmeric.)  Great dish. 

For the Passatelli:

1 cup of plain bread crumbs (I used Panko)

1 cup Parmesan, freshly grated, real stuff.

2 large eggs 

Zest of a lemon

Grind of nutmeg

I used my mini processor to make the dough, adding a tablespoon of flour to tighten it up if needed. Let that rest for an hour before extruding the pasta either in a meat grinder or potato ricer. I dusted the finished product with flour on a plate and covered in the fridge till dinner.

For the broth I used vegetable which I augmented with 1/2 an onion, 2 celery stalks, 2 carrots, 3 crushed garlic cloves and a few peppercorns with a teaspoon of thyme. Salt to taste and simmer for about an hour. Strain and use. Chicken broth would have been made in a similar manner but adding a few chicken legs or bone in, skin on breasts. I almost always add Turmeric to improve the color and add health benefits. 

Enjoy! We sure did. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...