Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Hosta Hats and other oddities

a few of the hostas from last year including Wheee!
Lucky to have anything come up since the squirrels love this pot. The cabbage looking plants are Bergenia just about done blooming. The pot is filled with Canna Lillies and Gladioloas.


glass sculpture for accent
Hosta wearing a hat.

So I finally got around to planting our bounty from last weeks adventure to the Hosta Farm. Now, I have a rabbit problem like most of us suburbanites and they destroy everything I put in the ground unless adequately protected. I have tried it all, sprays, powders, human hair, dog hair and the neighbors cat. Nothing seemed to do the trick.

I found some small link, coated chicken wire at the local Menards and resigned to putting a fence around everything. I got thinking and cut a 2 foot length of the 2 foot wide wire and put it over a 5 gallon bucket. I forced another bucket on top effectively creating a 'cloche'. Secured with a few bamboo stakes and voila! No more rabbit food.  For the smaller plants, I used 2 clay pots. Look Ma, no more nibbled leaves. Now if I could just keep the squirrels from digging in the pots....

1 comment:

  1. The beginning of our session was classroom type instruction similar that was similar to what we learned in May. fence contractors pahrump nv

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...