Monday, August 4, 2014

I live to eat...in a literal sense

Yesterday after consuming leftovers from Saturday, Brenda noticed a bowl on the counter, covered with a towel. Another pizza crust variation made with the countless varieties of methods for preparing crust. This time it was a Ken Forkish recipe that captured my imagination.

I am unable or unwilling to get my oven hot enough for pizza nirvana but this was close. enthusiasts will take their oven to blast furnace status to achieve the perfect Leopard spotted crust. I am not that brave but I do long for bubbly, chewy perfection.

This is the way my head works... During my rummaging for eats on Sunday I spy leftover meat sauce from earlier in the week which leads to a quick inventory of our cheese situation, 8 ounces of fresh mozzarella, 2 ounces of Monterrey Jack and a bit of Fontina.  Check. The pizza crust from a blog entry I read on a lazy Sunday afternoon. OK. I can do this.

1 1/2 cups AP flour
3/4 c warm water
2 t salt
1/8 t yeast. Wait what? Yep 1/8 t. Very long rise.

I mixed flour and water, set the timer for 20 minutes. (Autolyse)

Mix  yeast in a tablespoon of water.

Pour salt and yeast over flour mix. Mix and stretch from the bottom till you can no longer feel salt crystals. Wet your fingers if it gets sticky. Place in an oiled bowl and cover for, well all day or overnight. I put mine in the fridge after 12 hours (18 hours fridge time) and took it out about 2 hours before I spread it into a crust.

I heated the oven to 450 on roast (both top and bottom burners come on) I spread a bit of flour on parchment paper and worked the dough into a 12 inch circle with the help of a bit of olive oil. Spread out my sauce and cheeses then I am ready to bake!

Bubbly, crispy crust but not New York crusty and fine toppings despite the leftover status. Yum.

I will do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...