Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Anniversary of Our Engagement

Every year, for no particular reason but as long as I can recall, we celebrate our engagement of the day Brenda got her ring.  I always say she was too excited to wait till Valentines Day but the reality is I was probably too excited to give it to her.

So being both nurses, we of course were rarely on the same shift. One night while I was home and an ambitious young man, I made homemade fettuccine pasta with Alfredo sauce and happened upon a package of thinly sliced veal so I paired the pasta with Veal Saltimbocca. I am not sure where I got the recipe but have never been a hesitant cook so...it was definitely pre-internet though so must have been a print book I had in my possession. I had a lot of cookbooks and real fascination with the culinary arts.

For the last 30 odd years I have made this dish every February 9th without exception but for one lean year where I could not find veal for the life of me. Now I buy it all up whenever I see it on sale and freeze it.
Just pounded the veal,  dredged in flour with a helping of sage, prosciutto and provolone cheese a top. Plenty of butter to fry it all up.  Usually we have broccoli but we were out so Brussels sprouts made a soggy appearance (a bit over cooked in the microwave I am afraid.)  Paired with a nice red, it is a nostalgic meal for us. I believe the first was served post shift, on the deck at a little bistro set we had with candles and the whole romantic silliness of young love that has obviously endured the decades.

Here's to you dear...cin cin! 
We had these portraits done for our 25th and lost them. There are just a few scans I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...