We have an abundance of yellow squash in the garden so time to get busy. Not exactly the healthiest way to consume your veggies but certainly a tasty and delicious way to.
The recipe come from Heather Christo's blog.
Recipe: Lemon Summer Squash Bread
makes 2 loaves
- -1 cup melted butter (I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 veg oil)
- -2 ¼ cups sugar
- -¼ cup plus 2 Tbs lemon juice
- -2 tsp lemon zest
- -3 eggs
- I added 1/2 c Greek Yogurt
- -3 cups flour
- -1 tsp salt
- -1 tsp baking soda
- -1 tsp baking powder
- -2 ½ cups grated summer squash (or zucchini)
- Opt: add 1 cup blueberries too
- -1/2 cup powdered sugar
- -3tsp of lemon juice
- 1)Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two loaf pans with baking spray.
- 2)Melt the butter in a small pan.
- 3)Combine the sugar and lemon juice and zest in a mixing bowl.
- 4)Add the butter and mix to combine.
- 5)Add the eggs one at a time and beat until the batter is light and fluffy, (about 2-3 minutes.)
- 6)Meanwhile combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- 7)Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and barely combine into a batter.
- 8)Add the grated squash and mix until just combined.
- 9)Divide the batter between the two pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
- 10)Bake the bread at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- 11)Take the bread out and let cool until the pan is just cool enough to handle.
- 12)While the bread is cooling you want to make the lemon glaze.
- 13)Add the 1 Tbs of butter to a small pan and melt it.
- 14)Remove the pan from the heat and add the 3tsp of lemon juice. Whisk to combine.
- 15)Add the powdered sugar and whisk to combine.
- 16)Add the water to thin it to the right consistency.
- 17)Turn the loaf out (upside down or “right” side up is just fine!)
- 18)Drizzle the glaze over the top of the loaf.
- 19)Slice and serve, this cake is great warm or room temperature!