Monday, December 10, 2018

Better Living Through Bionics

You may or might not know I have diabetes, type 2. I struggle daily to keep my sugar under control with my treatment plan that includes diet and medications including some night time insulin.   I began to see an endocrinologist a few months ago to get me back on track and manage this illness more thoroughly.  He suggested a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) but lamented the cost and that our new insurance would not cover the device and monthly expense.
I had nothing to lose so I called my company and they actually do cover some of the cost and had a company I needed to use. The device came last week and I put it to use right away. No more finger sticks! Yay me! It monitors my sugar every minute and I check several more times a day than I did sticking my fingers. The sensor lasts 2 weeks before needing a change and my iPhone tracks it all! The downside is  I occasionally catch the sensor on the door jamb and there is a needle there so it hurts a bit.  I think the next one needs to move a little more posterior.
I am so happy to live in this age and be a part of these scientific wonders. Monitoring has been revealing some interesting insights to my daily life and nighttime activity. Turns out that bedtime snack is a huge deal and prevents me from dipping pretty low while sleeping. I look for more protein based snacks during the day to prevent spikes and refrain from foods when I am running high. As you can imagine, this feeds into my obsessiveness about my sugars, in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...