Saturday, December 1, 2018

Pizzelles and family


Definitely an acquired taste, these are not for everyone as they have anise as the flavoring and not many love the taste of licorice. I do as an adult, but not so much when I was a kid. Most of the appeal for these cookies is the memory of making them with my mom, one at a time with a heavy iron that came from Fante’s in Philly.  The recipe was a closely guarded secret by mom although I am not sure why. I believe I saw it on the packing that came with the iron. 
There are several varieties and flavors now and I have made gingerbread pizzelles but these elicit the fondest memories. 
I had the recipe printed on dish towels after mom died but it wasn’t in her had, she had typed it on a card. Too funny but typical. I had a hard time telling from her recipes which ones she wrote and which ones I wrote for her. Very similar penmanship. 
The debate recently with my cousins on Facebook centered around using he heavy single iron or an electric that makes 2 at a time and quite quickly. I use the electric although my gas range would do the job well, I’m afraid I would crack my granite counter with the iron.  

So here goes with minor variations from the original recipe mostly dealing with the flavoring. I use anise extract, seed, fennel seed and today, star anise powdered by hand. Star anise is quite strong so a little went a long way.

Pizzelles
6 eggs
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 sticks of butter, melted and cooled
1 tbl baking powder
1/2 teas baking soda
8 cups flour
1 tbl anise extract
2 teaspoons crushed anise seed
1 teaspoons crush fennel
1 star anise ground. 

Combine eggs and sugar and beat with mixer till ribbons form.  Add the cooled butter and beat thoroughly. Add the crushed seeds and extract and mix in. In another bowl, combine the baking powder, soda and flour.  Add the flour in batches. The dough will be quite stiff. Check the flavor, the time to add more is now.  I used a 1 ounce scoop to fill my baker and cooked till light brown. On the electric, the steam will lessen. Remove the cookies to a wire rack and let cool. They will crisp up as the dry. Store in a zip lock bag. I usually make just half a recipe at a time and yes cousin Bob, I use my Kitchen Aid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...