Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Sous Vide Bandwagon

Lot's of interested parties regarding the Sous Vide cooking we do at the Denich House. Its quite a foreign concept to some that you can cook a whole roast of beef  in a water bath and have it turn out so well. As for us and our house, a steak only gets cooked in the sous vide. This way I am assured that I won't completely ruin a nice cut of expensive meat and it will be tender and juicy but there can be some pitfalls.

This Christmas I cooked 2 New York Strip roasts. One over night in the sous vide and one for just 5 hours. They did not turn out the same at all and frankly I was a little surprised.

The over-nighter was cooked far too well. It could have been the long rest time or that it just cooked too long. I expected it to be more tender than the short cooked one but it was not and was done throughout. Too done. My oven was just not big enough to cook 2 roast this size but the 2nd roast was a bright medium rare through out even after a reverse sear and hold in the oven.

We purchased Benjamin a unit for Christmas this year, and Anova Stick Sous Vide. I am hoping it works as well as my oven for him and according to Nicholas it will. He uses his quite a bit also.

I rarely use the vacuum sealer any longer as water displacement and freezer bags does a great job at containing the meat. I have used the method for everything from chicken to lobster tails with great success. This roast last night was my first over cooked disappointment. Not sure what happened but I have no reason to cook a roast like this that long. Those cooking times are reserved for tougher cuts like a brisket.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...