Sunday, January 15, 2012

Beef and Barley Vegetable soup



Another soup supper Sunday at our house. I like cooking this stuff all day and melding flavors into a savory warm treat on a Winter's day even though it was temperate out today.

1 to 1 1/2 pounds stew beef
1 T oil
1/2 c flour
3 medium carrots
3 leeks
2 cloves of garlic chopped
8 ounces mushrooms
1 medium onion
1 pkg frozen pearl onions or 1 jar
1 cup red wine
4 cups beef broth
1 T Thyme
1/2 to 2/3 c barley

I dredged the beef in flour and browned in hot oil in batches. I deglazed the pan with the wine, scraping all the brown bits then added the onions, pearl onions,  carrots, mushrooms, leeks and garlic. To this I added the broth which covered the ingredients. After it came to a boil, I simmered it covered for several ours till the meat was tender. During the last hour, I added the barley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Served with some crusty bread you just can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...