Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Israeli Foods....Shakshuka

Last night Brenda worked late and I didn't feel like fish. Work folk had brought the bounty in from their gardens so I snitched a few peppers and tomatoes. I stopped and picked up some feta and a loaf of crusty bread. I made the tomato base for the dish and waited for the phone to tell me Brenda was on her way.

I turned up the heat on the veggies and slipped 3 eggs into the pan and covered it poaching the eggs in the spicy tomato base. Sprinkled with feta,  this was a real treat. The runny yolks and spicy sauce was delicious.
Poached eggs and tomatoes with peppers.
Shakshuka

A steady Passover dish can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner just add a salad and some Pitas.


1 med onion diced
5 cloves of garlic minced
A couple glugs of olive oil
 1 can of diced tomatoes (I only use Glen Muir now)
1 or 2 fresh ripe tomatoes, diced
2-3 peppers (I used banana but jalapeno, anahiem or whatever)
1 t cumin
1 t paprika
1/2 t cayenne  (we like it hot)

I sauteed the onions and garlic in the oil till clear then added the spices The fresh tomatoes and peppers went in next, cook for 5 minutes then the canned tomatoes. Simmer till liquid is reduced. I used a large spoon to create a depression in the mix and added a fresh egg. Cover until the egg is to your liking.
Spoon on a plate and sprinkle with crumbled feta.

Man, my Dad would have loved this. He was big pepper and egg fan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...