Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Chicken Tikka Masala for Brit....

I made Chicken Tikka Masala for dinner a few weeks ago and had leftovers for lunch. This attracted some attention at work since I eat really early and heating dishes up in the break room sends the smells wafting down the hallway.

So Brittany, one of my co-worker/cooking fans, wants a recipe for masala and I have several, a few posted on this blog. But I ran across one the other day that was easy and tasty so I made it and I'll be darned if I can find that recipe again.


3 whole (to 4) Chicken Breasts, I used a few thighs also. Pound them even thickness. 1 tsp  Kosher Salt
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1 tsp Cumin
1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt

6 Tablespoons Butter
1 whole Large Onion
4 cloves Garlic
1 piece (approximately 2 Inches) Chunk Fresh Ginger ( I use the mixed jar from the Indian store)
2 Tbs Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Cayenne 
1 tsp Cumin
1 can (28 Ounce) Diced Tomatoes
3 tbs Tomato paste (I use the tube stuff, it's great.)
1 tsp Sugar if needed
1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream (optional. I used the leftover yogurt from the chicken. Way less calories. )
1 pepper, Jalapeno or Serrano depending on your heat tolerance
 Cilantro, 1 bunch chopped
Cooked Rice. 

Salt and pepper the chicken. Mix the spices into the yogurt. Arrange the chicken on a pan to place under the broiler. A rack works great for this. Brush the both sides of the chicken with the yogurt mixture and broil till just slightly pink in center. Make sure you let it get some dark charred spots. 

Set chicken aside after it has been chunked up.

Melt the butter and saute the chopped onion till translucent. Add the Garam Marsala, Cayenne and toast it a bit then add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute then add tomato paste a can of diced tomatoes. Let this simmer down and break down the tomatoes. Add the sugar and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. At this point I use a hand blender to puree the sauce a bit leaving some chunks of tomatoes.  Add the chicken back especially if needs more cooking.

Just before serving I used the leftover yogurt instead of cream to add to the gravy. Mix thoroughly add the cilantro before serving over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...