Friday, February 26, 2021

Steak Pasta Revisited



A long while back there was a great little place up the street from us called Ryan’s Bistro. It had some really great food and we loved it but it closed and reopened elsewhere several times before disappearing for good. 

I had a dish with steak, mushrooms, tomato and blue cheese over pasta. My favorite dish on the menu so I tried it at home. I have made this countless times and tonight we had it with a leftover NY Strip from the night before. 

I don’t eat pasta that often because of my diabetes but I found a great high fiber pasta here locally that does not cause a spike in my blood glucose and we stick to the serving size, religiously. 


Steak Pasta

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons  olive oil

8 oz Cremini mushrooms quartered

A good handful of cherry tomatoes, halved

2 cloves of garlic, minced

8 ounces of steak I had a cooked medium rare NY Strip that I cubed into bite sized pieces. Use more if desired. If using an uncooked steak, fry the steak to medium rare first, set aside to rest the cut into bite sized pieces. Then proceed, using the same pan with the rest of the recipe. 

1 tablespoon of flour

1 1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup cream

4 ounces of blue cheese crumbled

1/2 cup Parmesan shredded. 

12 ounces cooked penne, cooking water reserved

I started by heating a large skillet with the butter and oil and added the mushrooms. Cooking till they just start to color lightly.  The tomatoes and garlic went next, sauté for a few minutes. I sprinkled the flour and let cook a few minutes before adding the milk. I let the sauce thicken and but then added the cream and cheeses. Salt and pepper, I also added red pepper flakes then add the beef to the mix and allow to heat through. 

Add the cooked pasta to the pan and mix. Dish it up with a sprinkle of Parmesan on top. Use the pasta water to thin the sauce if needed. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...