Ian Knauer's Sticky Balsamic Ribsby Genius Recipes
For the ribs:
- 8 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 pounds baby back pork ribs
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1 teaspoon salt. Stir together with rosemary, brown sugar, vinegar, cayenne, remaining tablespoon salt, and pepper. Rub evenly all over ribs and transfer to roasting pans, meaty side up. Marinate, chilled, 8 to 24 hours. Alternately, marinate in a zippered bag or bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 425°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into each roasting pan and tightly cover pans with foil. Roast ribs, switching position of pans halfway through, until meat is very tender, about 1 3/4 hours. Remove pans from oven and transfer ribs to a platter.
- Add 1 cup hot water to each roasting pan and scrape up brown bits. Skim off and discard fat, then transfer liquid to a 10-inch skillet. Add vinegar and brown sugar and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil until thick and syrupy and reduced to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas).
- Brush some of glaze onto both sides of racks of ribs. Grill, turning occasionally, until ribs are hot and grill marks appear, about 6 minutes.
- Brush ribs with more glaze and serve remaining glaze on the side.