Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pan Sear redux

On the way home from work I stopped for some quick shopping and boneless back ribs caught my eye (cheap). They were in 2 slabs about 3/4 pound each.

I heated a cast iron skillet with a touch of bacon fat and seasoned the meat with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of sugar. I layed them in the skillet and hoped for the best. Too hot with pork and it will cook the juices right out, too little heat and no browning will occur. When sufficiently caramelized, I flipped each rib for a few minutes and then a coating of BBQ sauce and into a 400 degree oven for about 17 minutes. They actually came out spot on. No brining (my usual treatment) no fussing but juicy and a nice brown crust. Served with a nice romaine salad, it was a tasty dinner for 2 with plenty of lunch leftovers.

Love these. Inexpensive and tasty. I look for packs with lots of dark red as I like the taste and find it more tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...