Monday, April 28, 2014

Chicken for dinner....again?



We are trying our best to make me thinner but that is really hard to do. My lovely bride seems to keep her svelte figure no matter what but me...nope. Despite my caloric restrictions I can't seem to hit my target weight especially with my restrictions exercising due to a bad knee. I am trapped on a 1200 calorie diet (with cheating) but that last 6 pounds remains elusive (depending on whose scale you believe).

Lately, its been chicken. It seems I can eat a pretty good sized serving (4 ounces) with little effect and it just an easy thing to do. I have been brining 5 or 6 chicken breasts at a time and grilling them or this past weekend I made this:
Spice Rubbed Chicken
Photo is from Not Quite Nigella's blog.





This Spicy Chicken was posted my one of the bloggers I follow. It used spices I have in the cupboard and while the recipe used whole chicken pieces intact with skin and bone, I just had boneless. I brined the chicken as usual (1/4 c salt in 4 c water)  then coated the chicken with the spice mixture and baked along with a few onions. Since I did not have nearly the juices with no skin I have to improvise a bit. I sliced the cooked chicken and then coated it with a mix of lemon juice and olive oil. That seemed to do the trick and it is quite tasty and lifted me out of the grilled rut.

  • 1 large chicken (mine was 1.6 kgs/3.5lbs), butterflied and cut into pieces
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons sumac
  • 2 tablespoons za'atar
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
  • 1 lemon, halved
  • 2 onions, quartered
Combine the spices and oil,  coat the chicken in spice/oil mix and place in pan. Squeeze the lemon over all and add a few quartered onions. Bake till juices run clear, about 40 minutes at 350. Link to the actual blog below. Thanks Mrs NQN!

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2014/04/24/spice-rubbed-chicken/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...