Monday, April 7, 2014

Plaki for 100, Dinner for 2







Yesterday was a busy day with church and a benefit and I had to make the Plaki sauce for Palm Sunday as I would not have much time the rest of the week. So 15 pounds of peeled onions and lots of tears later, I made 5 gallons of sauce in my large pot and packaged it for the church. Meanwhile I have a gallon left over or so so dinner was set and a container or two set aside for friends and Mackenzie.

Psari Plaki  is a traditional Greek way of cooking fish in a tomato based sauce heavy on the onions, celery and garlic, seasoned with Oregano and Basil. Basically I used some great cod we had in the freezer and roasted the fish in the fresh sauce base for about 30 minutes. It is traditionally served over pasta at our church with a sprinkling of Parmesan which always confused me a bit since my more traditional Slav background forbade cheese during Lent (of course, we only fasted for a week, not all of Lent) but when in Greece....

The recipes vary but remains about the same. Onions, lots of onions, celery, tomatoes, garlic and seasonings. I use a bit of lemon also. A firm white fish  (Red Snapper is more traditional) we use Cod.
Elsewhere on the blog you will find the recipe for 100 and a recipe for 8 as Mackenzie occasionally craves the sauce just for fun. I have used the leftover sauce (buzzed it with my hand held blender) for pizza too.

Kali Orexi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...