Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chicken Noodle Soup...the beginning.

I am cooking for some very special ladies on Monday so, true to form, I started today of course. I need something neutral and homey for the gals who both had chemo this week. It has to be my best effort. I came home with 2 chickens,  some celery, carrots and ideas. I used my large marmite and covered the birds with cold water. I added a large halved unpeeled onion, washed unpeeled carrots, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 2 bay leaves, 1T thyme, sage leaves, a sprig of rosemary and a teaspoon of turmeric for great color. I also added about 2T salt and several grinds of pepper.

I watched the large pot like a hawk for 3 hours, never letting it boil. The result was a perfectly clear, delicately flavored broth. The best base for my soup.  I will store this in the fridge until Sunday when I will finish the soup with fresh veggies and the meat from the two chickens. A couple of handfuls of noodles will top it all off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...