Wednesday, January 31, 2018

There’s No Place Like Home

I came home today without fanfare but grateful to be on my way to recovery untethered by the hospital. I can get up at will, won’t have my sleep disturbed and forgo the constant blood sugar monitoring. I can sleep in my own bed, lay about on my own sofa but I am on my own to manage my pain which can be intense.
I, of course, still have the worlds best nurse at my side and can enjoy all the comforts of home.

Day 2 at home

With all that said, pain control eludes me and removes my appetite. The pills help but make me sleepy and I only need them every 6-8 hours. Eating is a challenge. A bowl of cereal sends my gut into rebellion, bloating and discomfort.  Nothing  sounds good to eat while just a few days ago I downed an Arby’s roast beef.
Nights are fine and I have deep restful sleep but mostly on my back and cannot sleep much past 4. Brenda and I are learning the fine art of appliance placement as waking up dry is always the goal. So far just one mishap after a long nap.  Just takes time. Trying not to get too debilitated to get up and move but it’s easy to do for sure.
As soon as my gut realigns itself I will be fine. Looking for mostly bland, non interactive food but protein intake has to remain a priority to heal all these wounds.  Tried the shakes and even Ensure and Boost. Not appealing even if it’s made blended with ice cream. Right now, I am the incredible shrinking man. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...