Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Prepping for the weekend....

Haven't cooked much this month with our vacation and my trip to D.C. This weekend I will redeem myself and we have invited some church friends over for dinner.  The menu is probably going to be Chicken Caccitore  which I have poted the recipe before. I did notice though that I did not post the recipe for then polenta I serve the Caccitore on. so here goes:


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups polenta or yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large pot add milk and cream along with thyme and garlic. Bring to a simmer then shut off the heat to let the milk and cream steep. Let it steep for at least 30 minutes. Once steeped, strain the milk mixture and discard the thyme and garlic. Bring the milk and cream mixture back up to a simmer and gradually pour in the cornmeal in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Once the milk is completely absorbed, lower the heat and set a timer for 20 minutes. Continue cooking, whisking often, until the timer goes off, add chicken stock if the mixture is too thick (it should be like creamy mashed potatoes). Once the timer goes off the polenta should be thick and smooth. Finish with butter, grated Parmigiano and salt and pepper.

This stuff is so good I have to keep myself from just spooning up a bowl ful andeating it. Under the Cacciatore it is crazy good. I might have to make 2 batches for the weekend festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...