Friday, October 14, 2011

Salmon Chowder

Saw an episode of "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay on Salmon Chowder and was inspired for Friday night supper.  I used the recipes for a guide but wound up following my heart and what I had on hand. I skipped the bacon although I am sure it is wonderful but no meat on Fridays for us.


The stock:

4 cups of water
1 onion cut in half, unpeeled
1 stalk celery rough chop with leaves
peppercorns
1 tbl salt
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 c white wine
20 shrimp in the shell

I boiled everything and removed the shrimp, shelled them and added the shells back to the broth. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Reserve the shrimps and chop for later.

For the rest:

1-1 1/2 pounds grilled salmon (I grilled it till slightly underdone) Flake with fork.
2-3 ounces smoked salmon chopped 1/2 cubes
4-5 Youkon Gold potatoes, 3/4 inch cubes, roasted with a bit of olive oil
1 leek, sliced thin
2 stalks of celery large dice
1 onion large dice
3T butter
3T flour
1 cup cream

Strain the broth and and start to simmer again in a large pan.

I sauteed the leek, onion and celery in 3T butter till the veggies were crisp tender. To this I sprinkled 3T flour and mixed well.   Add this to the broth and allow the broth to thicken. Add the salmon, shrimps, smoked salmon. Finish with the cream and garnish with fresh tarragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...