Saturday, May 4, 2013

Holy Week Preparations coming to a close

Our new Russian descent priest is influencing my prep this year by making Pascha a more traditional Slavic theme. Case in point, we spent the last few days assembling a basket for blessing on Saturday. I made a traditional Pashka, a molded cheese that is reminiscent of cheesecake in its sweet fruit and nut filled flavor. We picked up traditional items like a small ham and un traditional items like Beef Jerky. Today I am baking a Kulich or at least my version of this sweet Slavic bread heavily frosted and baked in a coffee can. It is rising as I type.



So, the Kulich came out with a nice tall rise and smells amazing flavored with cardomon and mace. The basket has come together with sausage, ham, salt, eggs and the molded cheese 'Pashka'. We will take it all to church today for a blessing to be consumed with our family meal on Sunday. I have ribs, chicken wings and a lovely leg of lamb ready for cooking as well as our usual sides. Despite the cold weather it's going to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...