Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Perfect Summer Salad

That my friend is a bold statement but I stand by this delicious mix of flavors and it surprises me every time we have this salad how really good it is.

The basics

The secret here is the dressing that I have made for years from my old Joslyn/ Blackstone cookbook.

Crab Louis Dressing

(loosely adapted from Bernard Schimmel's original)

1 c Mayo (we use light)
1/4 c chili sauce
1/4 c ketchup
2 t Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 c sour cream
juice and zest 1/2 lemon
a few dashes of hot sauce (I used 1 tbls)
salt and pepper

Mix all and set aside to prep the salad.

I had boiled eggs and shrimps (21-32 per pound) and iced them down. Perfectly ripe avocados (I am not sure how my lovely bride manages to have a perfect avocado in the fridge, it seems, at all times) and your favorite croutons with fresh Romaine and Iceberg mix. I think the greens really need to be really crisp and fresh.

The assembly:

On the bed of fresh greens, distribute the shrimps, sliced eggs then sliced avocado fanned out.
I add the dressing and top with croutons and whatever you like then that final sprinkle of salt and cracked pepper.

Brenda likes tomatoes and extra stuff on her salads. I am a purist and like only the basics. Hers looks better though....
 So yummy and fresh but the deal is between the dressing, eggs and shrimp its like they were made to be together. Creamy avocado and that final sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper. We never seem to tire of this salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...